- You are responsible for your salvation
- You have to put forth an effort
- It is a serious responsibility
- God will help you
When you work you need tools
- Experience teaches this
- Spiritual work requires spiritual tools
- God has given us the tools we need 2Peter1:2-4
- You have to learn how to use them
Today’s tool is prayer
- How prayer helps us work out our salvation
- How to pray
A working challenge for this week
- Give thanks for every meal
- Spend 15 minutes each day talking to God
- Driving to work, lunch break, evening…
How prayer helps us work out our own salvation
- Prayer is commanded (Luke18:1, Romans12:12, Col4:2, 1The5:17)
- Prayer “works” (James5:16)
- “Effective fervent” Energeo
- Prayer puts God’s power into your life
- Prayer and devotion are inseparable (Luke2:37, Acts1:14, 2:42, 6:4, 10:2, 10:30, 13:3, 14:23, 16:25)
- To pray is to acknowledge God’s existence, power, and our reliance Ps25:1-5
- Communication draws us closer Ps145:18
- Prayer keeps you pure 1Jn1:5-9
- Prayer keeps your mind focused above Ps5:3
- Prayer helps keep you from falling Phil4:6-7, Mk14:38, 1Pet4:7
- Prayer helps us grow Mk9:29, Eph6:8, Jude20
- Start working out your salvation this week through prayer
How to pray (Luke11:1)
Be consistent and persistent in prayer.
- The Bible certainly teaches consistency.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:17, Rom12:12, Col4:2
- Lk11:5-13, 18:1-8
- Don’t use prayer like a parachute or fire alarm.
- Have set times to pray so as to make it a habit. (Think about Daniel)
Be genuine, personal and heartfelt in your prayers
- Instead of repetitive unfelt shallow prayers we should pour out our soul before God. Prayer should be more like a conversation rather than a memorized poem.
- Jesus warned about prayers for show and vain repetitions Mt6:5-7
- The prayers we read in the Bible are usually very personal, heart felt, emotional prayers.
- 1 Samuel 1:10,11, 15
- Psalm 22:1-2, 51:1-4
- Hebrews 5:7, Mt26:36-46, Mk14:32-42, Lk22:39-46
- Don’t pray in general, be specific
- Don’t be afraid Heb4:16, 10:19, Rom8:26
Pray for others
- About sickness James 5:14-15
- About sin James 5:16, 1Jn5:16
- For all especially rulers 1Tim2:1-2
- Even for enemies Lk6:28
Pray about all concerns
Be thankful in prayers.
- Philippians 4:6-7
- Colossians 4:2
- 1 Thessalonians 5:17-18
- Jesus was thankful. Matthew 11:25
- Paul was thankful. Philippians 1:3
- Almost all of the prayers of the Bible contain thanksgiving to God. (Read Psalms.)
Pray with forgiveness Mk11:25-26
Have faith when praying
- Mk11:22-24, James 1:6, 5:15, 1Tim2:8
- Do we really have faith?
- Some individuals in the Bible exhibited tremendous faith in their prayers.
- Elijah when he prayed for rain and for fire. 1Kings17-18
- Hezekiah when surrounded by Assyria. 2Kings19
- Joshua when he prayed for the sun to stand still when fighting against the Amorites. Joshua 10
1. This week start working out your own salvation
2. God has given us a powerful tool in prayer
3. Rise to the challenge of dedicating this week to prayer and see what a difference it makes.
4. Pray consistently, genuinely, unselfishly, comprehensively, gratefully, with forgiveness and faith.